1000 litres of oil stolen from Meifod property
A thousand litres of oil valued at some £700 has been stolen from a tank at a property in Meifod some time since Tuesday 20th December.
It’s not known if the oil was taken in one go or over several days. But the theft has led to a renewed appeal for people to protect their oil tanks.
“In this particular instance the tank was visible from the road and easily accessible down a lane,” said PC Bob Beaman. “I’d remind people of the need to protect their fuel supplies from potential thieves.
“There are several steps you can follow:
- Be aware of your oil levels and check frequently.
- Where possible keep your levels low and the same when refilling.
- Speak to your supplier with regards to a more frequent but
- If you have a plastic tank, consider erecting fencing around
the tank with one end hinged and locked for filling purposes.
The fencing should be fixed to solid posts and should be set
off the tank approximately 12 inches on all sides. The same should
be fixed to the top as well.
- If you have a steel tank, then fit a quality anti-cut close-shackled padlock.
- If you have outside security lighting, then please ensure that
the system works and that the light sensors have been
adjusted correctly to detect movement.
“If anyone needs anymore crime prevention advice visit our website at www.dyfed-powys.police.uk .
“And in the meantime if anyone has information on this heating oil theft, they can contact me at Llanfyllin police station on 101.”