Being stopped and searched can be an unpleasant experience, no matter the approach of the police officers involved. But if it’s felt that there has been unnecessary force or an inappropriate attitude, then we'd like to hear about it and, where necessary, act upon it. Likewise, we welcome any suggestions or positive comments you’d like to share.

Tell us about your experience of being stopped by the police

If you feel you’ve had an unpleasant or unsatisfactory experience, you may wish to make a formal complaint. You can do so if you think a police officer has behaved incorrectly or unfairly. For example, if you think an officer has:

  • been rude to you
  • used excessive force
  • abused your rights
  • arrested you unlawfully

All complaints are investigated and this can take time. 

To make a formal complaint and for more information about how complaints are investigated, read our complaints pages. If you've had a positive experience, you can offer us feedback.

We review every stop and search complaint. We share the review, and anything we do as a result of the review, with the force Independent Advisory Group.

The Independent Advisory Group is made up of members of the community who have responsibility for scrutinising the use of stop and search.

How to get involved

Quality Assurance Panel

The panel was created to scrutinise the quality of Police contact with the public on behalf of the communities within the Dyfed-Powys area.
Areas the panel review include complaint cases, Stop and Search cases and police handling of 101 and 999 calls.
You can apply to join the panel on the Police and Crime Commissioner site.