Lay visitors check the living conditions, the condition of the animals, and the bond between handler and dog. They either arrange visits with dog handlers or view the dogs without any prior notice.
- Dogs are assessed on five main criteria:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst.
- Freedom from discomfort.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour.
- Freedom from pain injury and disease.
- Freedom from fear and distress.
They submit a report to the Chief Inspector of Operations, and any recommendations are taken very seriously and carried out if appropriate.
For information about becoming a lay visitor volunteer, call 01267 226440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org