Threats to a child’s safety are more likely to originate from a family member or a friend of a family than a complete stranger. Around 75 per cent of child sex offenders are related to or known to their victim. The Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme has been developed to respond to this.

The scheme allows parents, carers, guardians or interested third parties to ask the police to tell them about a person’s record of child sex offences if they are concerned about their access to a child.

The police already disclose information about registered sex offenders and violent offenders in a controlled way to a variety of people, including head teachers, leisure centre managers, employers, landlords and parents. The disclosure scheme is an additional tool that the police can use to keep children safe.

When will information be disclosed?

Disclosure will only happen if the police believe there is a need to protect a child and that it is necessary and proportionate. Information will only be disclosed to the person best-placed to protect the child and anyone receiving this information must keep it confidential and use it only to protect the child concerned. The Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme is not a UK version of the American scheme Megan’s Law, which makes all information about sex offenders publicly available. Anyone who breaches the confidence of the UK scheme may have action taken against them by the police.

How can a member of public ask for information?

You can submit a disclosure request to the police by letter, phone, or at a police station. Your request will be managed by the Public Protection Unit, who will contact you once it has been recorded on the force’s database.

Phone: 101
Address: Dyfed Powys Police HQ, Po Box 99, Llangunnor, Carmarthen, SA31 2PF

We will require information about you, the child you believe may be at risk and the person you are concerned about. If you think a child is in immediate danger call 999 at any time. Your concern will be dealt with under existing child protection arrangements.