UPDATE CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 - 2nd October 2020

Following the recent announcement concerning the "Local Lock Down" within the Llanelli and surrounding areas it has been determined that in the interest of public safety the processing of New Grant and Variation applications will be suspended immediately in these areas.

We will continue to accept New Grants and Variation applications from the respective areas however they will not be followed up and processed until the lockdown restrictions are lifted.

The website will be updated as and when normal service is resumed.

As of 31st August 2020 Firearms Licensing will NOW allow the recommencement of New grant and Variation applications for Firearms and Shotgun certificates.

At this time, ALL queries with the Firearms Licensing Department will be by e-mail ONLY.

The Email address is Firearmslicensing2@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk

Firearms Licensing would like to thank you for your understanding and co-operation during these unprecedented times.


You are now required to submit a GP Proforma with your completed application form. Failure to do this will result in your application being rejected.

This change will commence on the 9th August 2020 for any certificates which expire on or after 1st November 2020.

Applicants will therefore be required to submit a medical pro forma completed by his/her GP with ALL applications for firearm and shot gun certificates or application to register as a firearms dealer.

This will be a requirement whether declaring a relevant medical condition or not.

Frequently Asked Questions

All new grant applications received by firearms licensing on or after the 1st November 2020 must be accompanied by the new GP pro forma otherwise the application will be rejected.

You can download the GP Proforma form in the "I need to apply for, renew or change my firearm certificate" section of this page.

Alternatively, you can request a copy via email to firearmslicensing2@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk or by telephone on 01267 226499.

The applicant will be responsible for contacting their GP to request him/her to complete the pro forma.

Applications received without the applicant’s medical information (GP Proforma) will be rejected.

Guidance from the British Medical Association is very clear that this type of work falls outside of the NHS remit and as such surgeries may request a fee from the applicant.

It is an offence to possess, buy or acquire any firearm or ammunition which Section 1 of the Firearms Act 1968 applies to without a firearm certificate, although there are some legal exceptions. This will show the firearms and ammunition which the holder may have in his or her possession, purchase or acquire. If you are applying to hold a weapon other than a rifle, muzzle loading pistol, or shot gun with a large magazine, you should contact the firearms licensing department for advice.

Grants and renewals of firearms, shotgun and explosives licensing take between 12 and 15 weeks to process.

I need to apply for, renew or change my firearm certificate

Fill in and return the correct form if you applying for a new firearms certificate, renewing an existing certificate, or applying for a change to your certificate. If you are using your firearm for target shooting or on land, you must complete a specific use form (below) as well.

I need a firearms certificate for target shooting and on land

Depending on how and when you plan to use your firearm, you may need to complete one of these forms with your application. Please read the guidance notes carefully to decide if you need to submit one of them. If you are not sure, contact the firearms department.

Grants and renewals take approximately twelve to fifteen weeks to process.

I do not wish to renew my firearms certificate

If you do not wish to renew your firearms certificate, you must surrender or transfer your firearm to an authorised person before your certificate expires. You must also complete and return the form below.

How can I change my details?

If you already have a certificate and your personal circumstances change, please contact the department in writing to update your details. Keep your certificate so you can purchase ammunition. Your certificate will be requested either by the Firearms Enquiry Officer, or by the department when your new certificate is ready.