Police support volunteers
Fantastic opportunity to do something worthwhile with your spare time, making a real difference to your local police force and your community
What is a police support volunteer?
A police support volunteer is someone who gives their skills and time freely to perform tasks which are designed to enhance the work of the police and to provide additional support to local communities.
Police support volunteers assist police officers and staff with various tasks enabling them to concentrate on core policing duties, which means more officers on the streets and improved community support. Maintaining a high police presence in our communities will also help us to achieve our aim to reduce crime, disorder and fear.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who would like to get involved in a range of activities. Volunteer roles will vary in many ways depending on the needs of the police service.
Is there a particular area of policing of interest to you? If so, please contact the Citizens in Policing Co-ordinator who would be happy to assist in exploring opportunities for you.
Volunteering will offer you:
- a chance to support and make a contribution to our local communities
- skills and experience in a professional environment, enhancing future employment prospects
- a safe, friendly and interesting place to volunteer
- internal training to undertake tasks you are not familiar with
- a chance to meet people.
Expenses are provided for travelling and out of pocket costs.
No formal qualifications are required however, we expect honesty, integrity and a sense of commitment and for some roles there will be specialist skills required to perform the role. Effective communication, interaction, literacy and IT skills are highly desirable. Volunteers should also display a positive and friendly attitude coupled with a willingness to learn.
Heddlu Dyfed-Powys Police welcome applications from individuals from all walks of life and backgrounds regardless of their age, sex, disability, race, religion/faith, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and pregnancy/maternity.
Am I eligible to apply?
- You must be aged 18 or over
- You must be a British Citizen, a European Economic Area national or a commonwealth citizen, or a foreign national with no restrictions on your stay in the UK
- You must have a minimum of three years continuous residency in the UK (some roles will require five years continuous residency), with less than twelve months spend abroad in the last three years (with some exceptions for those living on a UK military bases).
The recruitment process
- Our volunteer vacancies are advertised here on our website. To apply for a particular vacancy, you will be asked to contact us directly
- Upon submission of your application form we will be assessing your skills, motivation and eligibility to apply
- Informal interview: candidates who pass the application phase will be invited to attend an informal interview. This interview will be conducted by the appropriate department manager and will discuss your skills, availability, motivations and overall suitability in more detail than the application form
- Pre-volunteering checks: force vetting, references, and where appropriate a medical
- Starting with Heddlu Dyfed-Powys Police: Successful candidates will receive a starting date where they will meet with their line manager and colleagues to begin their volunteering journey!
Current volunteer vacancies
Volunteer Public Enquiry Support - Carmarthenshire - Llwynhendy, Burry Port, Cross Hands, Llandeilo, Llandovery, Whitland and Carmarthen Town Centre base.
Cyber Special Cyber Volunteer (CSCV) Project – Cyber Volunteer, Economic Crime Team - Police Headquarters, Llangunnor, Carmarthen
If you have any queries in relation to the application process, or to request an application form, please email: BSU-HR@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk or call 01267 226 653.
Alternatively, you contact the Force Citizens in Policing Co-ordinator by emailing email@example.com or call 01267 226463.